Friday 18 April 2014

5 things I will be taking back to England with me

The past two weeks have just flown by.  I cannot actually believe that my time here in Ohio is over and I am going to be heading back to ol Blightly over the weekend.  It's even more difficult to believe that the next time I come back, I'll have Baby McBerry with me - in the flesh!

There are a few things I'll be  taking home with me in addition to my kick butt gifts for Baby.

1.  Raspberries and Strawberries are ALWAYS a good idea
I'm fairly certain I've eaten close to six pounds of each over the past two weeks.  (Think my belly has grown?  Nope, it's just fruit and Fritos)   I LOVE berries.  Baby LOVES berries.  Why on earth don't we buy berries in England?  

Berries are always a good idea.  PYO season will be here before we know it, so there's no excuse for us not to stock up on these delicious little gems.  In the meantime, Tesco may charge an arm and a leg for them....but it's totally worth it.

2.  Happy Little Trees


I can't actually believe you can still watch Bob Ross on WVIZ. I just stood watching him the other day in awe.  The Bob Ross philosophy has always made me smile - there are no mistakes, just happy accidents. Things that don't appear "right" can be turned into something great. Perspective is a beautiful thing. Thanks, Bob. I needed that reminder. 

3. Tradition 


We have so many family traditions. When you live about 4,000 miles away you tend to become slightly removed from tradition.  It could be convenience or lack of resources, it could be because some things just aren't done. For one reason or another, I've lost so many traditions.  

I haven't coloured Easter eggs or gone to a fish fry in seven years. Seven. I've taken to hiding B's Easter egg - merging the two ways of celebrating Easter. I'm not sure he likes searching for his chocolate in the house, but it's tradition. Baby McBerry will definitely have an Easter basket.  Baby will definitely be dressed up for Halloween.  Baby will send Valentines and wear green on Paddy's day. Tradition. It's important.

4.  The McDonalds Filet-O-Fish Song
Seriously.  What is that advertisement?  I can't get it out of my head.  I don't like filet-o-fish - let alone McDonalds.  I have visions of singing this four weeks down the line and no one will have a clue what I'm talking about.  I know.  And that's torture enough!

5.  Sometimes you just need to curl up on the sofa and watch Frozen
When I come back to Ohio, I like to spend my evenings with my family.  We've gone out together to get ice cream, we've popped out for drinks at the Winking Lizard, but my favourite times have been curling up in the living room and watching a film with the family.
B and I work so hard during the week.  It seems by the time we get home and eat I have a few hours worth of work to do and before you know it - it's bed time.  Is it worth it?  I don't think so.  Obviously things need to get done, but I think recharging in the evenings needs to be a new priority.  Besides - who could pass up on the opportunity to watch Frozen?

Five things that won't take up any room in my suitcase, but five things I'm more than happy to be taking back to London with me.  It's hard to believe that the next time I'm back here it could be for good.  
B reminded me today that we need to spend the next year relishing all that England has to offer.  He's got a point.  What I've always loved about living in England is the "quintessentially English" things. Stay tuned - I have a feeling the next year is going to be a year to remember.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment